A UK education opens doors, wherever you go in the world. From our world-recognized universities to our innovative teaching approach and the leading minds who deliver it, we have what you need to reach your potential.
The UK has been the preferred choice for some of the most important minds in history. One in four world leaders has studied in the UK, so if you’re dreaming of achieving big things, you can be sure you’re in the right place in the UK.
Our open and inclusive way of life will inspire you, our rich cultural history will fire your imagination, and – as our universities are among the most trusted and respected in the entire world – you’ll be able to develop your best and brightest ideas by studying here.
UK universities have adapted to the Covid-19 pandemic, ensuring student safety remains a top priority while continuing to deliver the world-class teaching the UK is known for.
Each UK university has dedicated staff to support international students at every step of their journey: from application to preparing for travel, to supporting you on arrival and throughout your time at university.
Coming to study in the UK is your opportunity to gain the skills, outlook, and confidence you need to fulfill your potential. To ensure you choose the course that is right for you and for what you want to achieve it is best to read as much as you can about the range of courses, colleges, and universities available and compare them. It is also important to check the course entry requirements. You can do this using the course profiles on the institutions’ websites. If you have any questions, you can contact the university directly, who will be very happy to help you find the information you need.
How to choose a university or college
With over 160 universities and colleges and limitless courses and study options on offer, you can make your UK higher education experience as unique as you are.
There are specialist universities and colleges, world-renowned historic institutions, modern innovative facilities, and pioneering and progressive research centers in locations all over the country, offering you the chance to tailor your learning to your aspirations and career goals.
Many UK universities are world-renowned for their subjects, courses, professors, and tutors. There are also universities and colleges that have a very strong focus upon a specific subject area, such as business, art, and design, music, or engineering.
These institutions offer highly specialized education in your chosen field and you will be surrounded by like-minded students – great for focused development, future contacts as well as making friends.
We want you to feel welcome and at ease when you arrive in the UK and would like to reassure all international students that UK universities are looking forward to welcoming you.
Many British Council offices run webinars and events to provide international students with up-to-date information on studying in the UK and some run pre-departure briefings. Please contact your local British Council office to find out what support is available.
Things to consider
- Does the university offer the right course options and flexibility for you?
- How does it rank for student satisfaction and care?
- What are your career prospects? What percentages of its students go straight into employment or further study after graduating?
- What are the teaching standards like?
- How does it perform in terms of research activity?
- What facilities are on offer? Consider things such as libraries, lecture halls, and study spaces
- Are there extra-curricular opportunities such as student unions, societies, and sports teams?
- Is the university based on campus or spread out over a city?
- Where in the UK? Studying in a city center London University will be a different experience to a smaller university in Wales that is close to the countryside.
- What are the course fees and accommodation costs and standards like?
- Is the institution recognized by UK authorities as having UK degree-awarding powers?